Kitchen Fire Safety
The kitchen is one of the more dangerous rooms in both residential and commercial properties. The difference though is that commercial kitchens give special training to the people who will be working within them. Residential kitchens are left in the hands of both adults and children, raising the risk for injuries and other accidents.
The following is a set of tips provided by the NFPA to help lower the chances of accidents that will cause fires or severe burns.
- Be alert. Do not attempt to cook if you are tired or under the influence of medicine, drugs, or alcohol.
- Keep anything flammable away from the stovetop. Keep the stovetop, oven, and burners clean of grease, oils, and other contaminants that might catch fire.
- Stay in the kitchen when cooking. If you must leave the kitchen for any reason, turn off the stove. Check what you’re cooking regularly, remain in the home while food is cooking, and use a timer to remind you of how long the task will take.
- Make sure there is at least one oven mitt in the kitchen to prevent burns from pots and pans.
- If an oven catches fire, turn off the heat and keep the door. Leaving the door open could allow flames to burn you or catch your clothing on fire. The oven should be checked and/or serviced before being used again. It should be replaced if it can’t be fully fixed.
- Plug microwaves directly into an outlet. Using an extension cord can overload the circuit and cause a fire.
- If your microwave or something in it catches fire, turn it off and keep the door closed until the fire is completely out. Don’t use it again until it is serviced. If needed, replace it.
- Keep pot handles away from the stove’s edge and burners. Use the back burners whenever possible.
- Wear short, close-fitting or tightly rolled sleeves to avoid catching your clothes on fire. However, if they do catch fire just remember to stop, drop, and roll!
- To avoid burns from steam, open food that you’ve heated in the microwave slowly and away from your face.
- Always remember the “three-feet” rule. Keep children and pets at least three feet away from the cooking area (in all directions). This will prevent burns from spilled food or contact with the stove.
- When in doubt, just get out. For fires you’re not sure if you can handle, leave the house and call the fire department.
- Treat burns as soon as possible. Put it in cool water and continue to cool the burn for three to five minutes. When cooled, cover with a clean, dry cloth to prevent infection. For burns bigger than your fist or for any burn that you’re not sure you can care for, go to the emergency room.
There are plenty of fire and burn risks in the kitchen. However, there are even more things that you can do to prevent those risks from becoming very real problems.
Information received from:
If you do experience a kitchen fire, you can contact SERVPRO® of North Central Tazewell County for the cleanup and restoration of your residential or commercial property. 309-346-5600
You can also contact:
SERVPRO® of Peoria - 309-637-7300
SERVPRO® of Galesburg and Macomb - 309-342-0073