If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (309) 346-5600

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Carbon Monoxide Safety

4/11/2019 (Permalink)

When thinking of everyday dangers, it’s easy to forget about the odorless and silent killer that is Carbon Monoxide. Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas produced by burning fuel; like the fuel burned in

  • cars/trucks
  • small engines
  • Stoves
  • Lanterns
  • Grills
  • Fireplaces
  • gas ranges
  • portable generators/furnaces

Carbon Monoxide is easy to produce and hard to detect, which is why the majority of victims are caught off guard or even in their sleep by the effects. Proper ventilation or not, this gas can build up and poison humans, pets, and any other living thing in the vicinity. Of course, the people most at risk when Carbon Monoxide are infants, the elderly, and people with pre-existing health issues (heart disease, breathing complications, etc.).

The sad fact is that the gas collects in dangerous amounts often by accident. It will build when people attempt to heat or power their home with gas-powered generators or if a car gets started or left on in a sealed garage. Situations like these can be prevented with just a little extra care and consideration. For example:

  • Schedule yearly professional servicing for heating systems, water heaters, and any other gas or coal-burning appliances.
  • Do not use portable flameless chemical heaters indoors.
  • Never use a generator inside your home, basement or garage or less than 20 feet from any window, door or vent. The gas can build to dangerous levels and cause sickness or death, and ventilation can still fall short of protecting you.
  • Keep chimnies and fireplaces clean and in proper working order, especially gas-powered fireplaces.
  • Ventilation for gas-powered appliances is key and never use a gas stove to heat your home.
  • Don’t run vehicles in closed garages.

Even with all of these precautions, safety can still fall short. When it does, watch for signs of Carbon Monoxide poisoning. Poisoning starts with headache, fatigue, shortness of breath, nausea, and dizziness. As it gets worse victims will face mental confusion, vomiting, loss of muscular coordination, loss of consciousness, and even death.

Protect yourself and your loved ones. Know how to avoid buildup of Carbon Monoxide gas and know the side effects of poisoning.

Information retrieved from:

https://www.nsc.org/home-safety/safety-topics/other-poisons/carbon-monoxide

Remember that you can trust SERVPRO® of North Central Tazewell County to have safe equipment for any of your cleaning and restoration needs. 309-346-5600

You can also contact:
SERVPRO® of Peoria - 309-637-7300
SERVPRO® of Galesburg and Macomb - 309-342-0073

Other News

View Recent Posts