SERVPRO® Vandalism Cleanup/Restoration
The common mental image for vandalism is profane words spraypainted on the sides of city buildings or train cars or damaged property in the neighborhood playground. There is so much more that constitutes as vandalism though. Furthermore, vandalism can happen on much more than just large buildings and cargo vehicles.
The following are some interesting facts and statistics on vandalism and graffiti.
- The definition of vandalism is damage that occurs when someone deliberately and consciously destroys or damages property (public or private). This includes the destruction or damage to buildings, vehicles, and venerated objects.
- Graffiti is still a common form of vandalism. According to some 2016 research, the most common building types to get tagged with graffiti are:
- Residential, public transport, business/commercial, & outdoor/public place
- Under Illinois law, a person is guilty of criminal damage if they perform any of the following acts without the consent of the property owner:
- Damaging any property of another.
- Damaging another’s property by means of fire or explosive.
- Knowingly starting a fire on someone's land.
- Knowingly injuring someone's pet.
- Intentionally placing a stink bomb or any other offensive smelling compound on someone else’s property with the intent to interfere with daily functions.
- Damaging property to collect insurance money.
- Intentionally shooting a firearm at any part of a train.
- Damaging, defacing, destroying, or tampering with any fire hydrant or any public or private fire-fighting equipment.
- Intentionally opening any fire hydrant.
- Vandalism can also be offenses like:
- carving initials into public park trees/benches or writing your name on a store window with a marker
- “keying” a car or puncturing its tires
- breaking a building's windows
- knocking over grave markers.
So why does SERVPRO® want you to know all of this information about vandalism types and what buildings can become a target to them? It’s simply because our teams are trained to clean and restore graffiti and vandalism damage. Technicians can offer services in general cleaning and graffiti removal, brick/stone/concrete cleaning, odor removal/deodorization, debris removal, water and fire damage restoration, and contents cleaning. With all of these services, you can rest easy knowing you can call us to help get your life and property back to normal after your home or business is vandalized. We can help to make it Like it never even happened.®
Information retrieved from:
Our franchisees are always Here to Help® if you call:
SERVPRO® of North Central Tazewell County | 309-346-5600
SERVPRO® of Peoria | 309-637-7300
SERVPRO® of Galesburg and Macomb | 309-342-0073