Indoor Air Quality
All building types should be checked when it comes to indoor air quality. If people live or work there, they should be breathing clean air. However, there are extra risks that come with not having healthy air in a commercial building, risks that include poor health inspection grades or businesses being shut down. By taking action and monitoring the levels of indoor air, you can help to ensure the safety of those who come through.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission informs that “In the last several years, a growing body of scientific evidence has indicated that the air within homes and other buildings can be more seriously polluted than the outdoor air in even the largest and most industrialized cities.” The cause of these air pollutants include:
- Combustion sources - oil, gas, kerosene, coal, wood, tobacco products
- Building materials and furnishings - deteriorated, asbestos-containing insulation, wet or damp carpet, and cabinetry or furniture made of certain pressed wood products
- Products for household cleaning and maintenance, personal care, or hobbies
- Central heating and cooling systems and humidification devices
- Outdoor sources - radon, pesticides, and outdoor air pollution
Some of these pollutants only become issues over long periods of time, but whatever the case, they’re still detrimental. This is because humans spend on average about 90% of their time indoors. When you spend that much time indoors in a building with poor air quality and poor ventilation, you expose yourself to a myriad of health problems.
The best thing you can do is make sure to get the air in your building tested for anything that might be dangerous. You can also prevent problems by controlling the sources of air pollution, changing filters regularly, and monitoring the humidity. Taking care of the air is just part of taking care of yourself and the ones you care about. Why risk it?
If mold or other messes are affecting the air in your business (or home) you can contact SERVPRO® to help with the cleaning and restoration of your property!
SERVPRO® North Central Tazewell County | 309-346-5600
SERVPRO® of Peoria | 309-637-7300
SERVPRO® of Galesburg and Macomb | 309-342-0073