Black Mold (Stachybotrys Chartarum)
- toxic green/black mold which can grow on material with a high cellulose content (fiberboard, gypsum board, paper, etc.) Growth occurs when there is (constant) moisture from water damage, water leaks, condensation, water infiltration, or flooding.
- This mold is labeled as toxic because it produces toxins called mycotoxins.
Where black mold can appear:
- Black mold can appear in pretty much any room inside your home (or business) if not taken care of. The following are only some examples of where it can be found.
- This includes around the toilet/bathtub, between tiles, bathmats, towels put away wet, etc.
- Dishwasher/fridge/washing machine seals, in appliances, in the fridge, dirty dish piles, under sinks, in cabinets, etc.
- Laundry Room
- Machine seals, under and in the appliances, under sinks, in cabinets, etc
- Living Room/Home Office
- Damp paper, potted plant water, AC units, etc.
- Attics and Basements
- Anywhere - Conditions are generally ideal for mold growth.
Be CAUTIOUS of how you proceed.
- While you wait to get your home inspected, stay out of any affected areas as much as you can. Do not move furniture or other items affected by mold (this could contaminate other areas). Remediation and removal are the best way to proceed, and you'll find trained professionals who can help with this process at SERVPRO®.
For information on how we can help with mold problems, you can call us at:
SERVPRO® of North Central Tazewell County | 309-346-5600
SERVPRO® of Peoria | 309-637-7300
SERVPRO® of Galesburg and Macomb | 309-342-0073