Avoid Ice Hazards
When temperatures drop, and ice starts to form you know that you are in for some slippery situations. The best thing that you can do for yourself and those you care about is to make sure that you are avoiding situations and areas in which ice can become a health and safety risk. The Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC), which is more than familiar with winter weather and its dangers, has put out a list of ways to stay safe in regards to ice. Here are some of the tips they offered.
- Use designated ice surfaces
- Only skate or icefish on ponds, lakes, or other bodies of water that have been deemed safe.
- Never go onto ice alone
- Always have a buddy on the ice. If someone is there, they can either save you or call for help if something happens
- Wear a thermal protection buoyant suit or a lifejacket
- The right protection can be the difference between an injury and a fatality
- Don't drive on ice if you can avoid it. If you can’t avoid it, have an escape plan
- Avoid night travel or traveling during winter storms. Don’t drive while under the influence or if your senses are impaired
- Avoid alcohol
- Avoiding alcohol is important whether you’re in a vehicle or not. Alcohol can cause your body to feel warmer than it is, which could speed up the onset of hypothermia.
- Take safety equipment with you
- Create a winter safety kit with inclement weather gear, and include items such as ice picks, a rope, a fire started, and more.
- Always supervise children playing on or near the ice
- Just like with the buddy system, it’s important to make sure children are never left unsupervised near icy areas. Whether the ice could break and they could fall into a body of water or whether they could slip and fall and injure themselves, ice is a hazard for kids.
We hope that everyone stays safe this winter. Just remember to avoid ice hazards as much as possible!
For information on how we can help if ice hazards lead to damage to your property, you can call us at:
SERVPRO® of North Central Tazewell County | 309-346-5600
SERVPRO® of Peoria | 309-637-7300
SERVPRO® of Galesburg and Macomb | 309-342-0073