Winter Damage in Commercial Properties
Running a business comes with a lot of responsibility. One of those responsibilities is making sure that the property doesn’t suffer damages, especially during winter. Winter weather can be really hard on buildings. The best way to prevent any extreme damage is to make sure that you prepare and watch for the following types of damage:
- HVAC Systems Damage
- If your HVAC system is not functioning properly, you can find yourself dealing with any of the following problems
- Frozen pipes
- Uneven airflow/temperature
- Malfunctioning heat pump
- Faulty pilot light
- Dirty heater filters
- Carbon monoxide leaks
- Broken thermostat
- Plumbing Damage
- Frozen pipes are common during the winter. This can lead to excessive water damage, content damage, and it can mean that you are without water until the problem is fixed.
- Asphalt Damage
- Asphalt cracking from snow and ice can cause damage to your property, to vehicles on your property, and can even be a risk for injury. Asphalt can only be repaired in warm weather, but preventing damage during the cold months can help to avoid damage or injury.
- Roof Damage
- The roof of your property can be damaged by all kinds of things during the winter. The most common issues generally come from melting ice and snow, or even from the weight of large amounts of snow. The only way to really prevent this damage is to make sure that you are constantly checking the status of your roof.
- Power Outages
- Winter power outages can cause freezing temperatures on your property. When this happens it can interfere with the business’s ability to function and it can even lead to further damage if the freezing temperatures begin to affect the plumbing or the structure itself. It’s best to have a plan in place, just in case the power happens to go out on you.
- Insulation Issues
- Improper insulation can cause heat loss. It also means that the property is more likely to have freezing issues - like broken pipes.
If you work on prevention and keep an eye out for damages before they become severe, you’ll be better able to recover from damages if they do happen.
If you do experience damage, you can always count on your local SERVPRO® for the cleanup and restoration. We are always Here to Help®.
For information on how we can help, you can call us at:
SERVPRO® of North Central Tazewell County | 309-346-5600
SERVPRO® of Peoria | 309-637-7300
SERVPRO® of Galesburg and Macomb | 309-342-0073